Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Where's the Dollar?

"Okay kid. Where’s the other dollar?" "Honest sir, he only gave me five. I swear!" "Kid, do you think I’m stupid? Do you think I was born yesterday? Does it look like I just fell off the turnip truck? (I’m not even sure what that means.)" "Sir, with all due respect, the manager gave me five, I gave you three and I kept only two." "Listen kid, I know how to count. If you don’t have it, where is it?" "Sir, with all due respect, I don’t know where it went. I’m not even sure it’s missing!" Is he lying? I think you need to know the whole story to decide. There were three of us traveling together. We needed a place to stay overnight. We spotted a sign on the door to an old bed and breakfast. "Stay Here Tonight … $10.00", it said. We went in and asked the gentleman behind the desk for three rooms. "I’m sorry guys, I only have one room available. Would you like to share the one room?" After a brief discussion amongst ourselves we agreed to share the room. The gentleman charged us $10.00 each and collected our $30.00. There was a young kid mulling about whom he instructed to show us to our room. About an hour later the manager called for the kid. "Kid, I feel bad I charged those guys $30.00 for sharing a room." He handed the kid five ones and told him to return it to us. The kid, on his way to deliver the money thought it would be much easier to give us just three dollars back (because after all, there were three of us) and then keep two for himself. We happily accepted the three ones, which we split between us and when we attempted to tip the kid he wouldn’t accept it, admitting to keeping two for himself. "Hold on just one second there, kid!" I said. Getting a dollar back each means we paid $27 for the room … Originally we gave him $10 each equaling $30. Now, getting a dollar back each we only paid $9 each. So … 3 times $9 is $27 … the kid kept $2 … making it $29 … Where did the other dollar go?

21 comments:

Moooooog35 said...

Where my other dollar always goes:

To the stripper.

Duh.

Anonymous said...

Uhh ... my brain hurts!! LOL!

Look at it another way - you paid £25 and he stole two.

Mike said...

Damn, I hate this new math...

Phil said...

The last dollar is in one of your pockets...

Probably the guy threatening the kid, I'd bet. People can't do math when they are angry.

3x$9=$27+$3(the kid gave back)=$30

The two bucks the kid has came from the three of you equally.

Malach the Merciless said...

I would of beat him up

just bob said...

The other dollar is at the Golden Banana.

xyu95 said...

i'm planning on boycotting Dollars

Malicious Intent said...

So much that could be done with the post, yet so little time and to many ethical issues to wrestle with. :)

Heather said...

LOL

KaraBeagle said...

yeah... you paid $25 for the room and tipped the kid $2, so you wouldn't have to split it...costing you $9 each....

My uncle would love this puzzle....

Anonymous said...

Alas, I gave up word problems many years ago.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna have to stop reading your blog if you are going to ask math questions. Math give me a headache.

Unknown said...

Did the other dollar get spent on math lessons? Was it eaten by Wall Street fuckers?

Ed & Jeanne said...

Nice trick. The fact that the hotel owner gave back $5 has nothing to do with the math here. 9x3 is 27 minus the 2 the kid kept is the 25 that was netted from the original 30 minus the 5 to give back.

xyu95 said...

What Ever happened to Joe The Blogger? Sure hope he didn't climb any ladders.

just bob said...

You've got to get out of the Golden Banana and start blogging again.

Malicious Intent said...

Hey Joe, where'd ya go?

xyu95 said...

somebody better drop by the Beer works and find out.

xyu95 said...

Looks like Joe is gone , another Beer Works Tragedy. Glad i got out in time.

Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can bruit about that I acquiesce in with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is stationary a definitely as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with issue of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=regvac registry cleaner 5.01.12 ?
I noticed the axiom you suffer with not used. Or you functioning the black methods of development of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg

ChefJosh said...

I remember the first time you pulled this one on me Joe...still can't make it work.