Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Foot Food For Fish


There’s an item in today’s newspaper that caught my eye. A spa in Virginia is offering fish pedicures. After reading this you may ask yourself, “Why would I want to bring my fish to a spa? They ain’t got no feet!”
My thought exactly, until I read on.
It is, in fact, your feet that are soaked in a tub full of fresh water with about one hundred little fish called “carp”. These are toothless creatures that will eat only the dead skin on your feet. Why? Because there’s nothing else to dine on except the dead stinky foot skin you just dunked into their home away from home.
Now, I’m far from being an activist of any cause, but I couldn’t help but wonder where the PETA people stand on this one. Let’s find out.
“All aboard! My Brain Train is leaving the station!”
First … Let me think a second … It is the PETA people I should be looking into, right? That’s the organization of People Eating Tasty Animals? Sorry, I was just kidding. I don’t want to offend anyone. (Click.) Here it is … the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.
Okay … Search on “carp”. (Click.) Hmmmmm. Did you know that goldfish are a type of carp? They can live up to forty years. I’m not sure if that can happen on a steady diet of foot food. Anyway, Goldfish are more an ornamental type of carp. They usually look pretty and for that they eat well. No dead skin dinners for them. (Click.)
A carp evidently looks at us and sees an endless supply of meals. Our skin is the largest organ of our body. We have layers of skin and the outermost layer is made up of mostly dead skin. (Click.) Every minute of the day we lose about 30,000 to 40,000 dead skin cells. To carps, our feet are just appetizers. They’re waiting for us to take the next step with full body soaks. They want the whole enchilada!
So as My Brain Train pulls into the next station, I leave you with this conclusion. (Click.) PETA mentions nothing on their website about the cruelty of feeding carp our smelly corn popping, blistering and bunion burdened tootsies. So maybe you might like to try it yourself.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks very ticklish

Anonymous said...

Pfft...I can drive down to the river and have them nip my feet for free! :)

Heather said...

Ewww. Anybody ever heard of a pumice stone? Nasty.

Anonymous said...

I heard about this...and now it's official, those who have lost their minds should NOT be allowed to try and think. It's very dangerous.

Malicious Intent said...

I have mixed feelings about this. I mean it is all natural and they are doing what they do.

I think the problem here is...are the fish getting paid? I mean forget PETA...there may be some major labor laws being broken here.

The Mistress said...

Nothing like a little toe jam.

Practically Joe said...

nursemyra: looks very ticklish
Me: coochie-coo!

midleah: I can drive down to the river and have them nip my feet for free!
Me: Great! As long as the other types of fish aren't hungry for toes. You know ... the ones with teeth.

Heather: Ewww. Anybody ever heard of a pumice stone? Nasty.
Me: What's the matter ... You don't like feeding the hungry fish?

Random chick: those who have lost their minds should NOT be allowed to try and think.
Me: That's half of us blogging!

Malicious: are the fish getting paid? I mean forget PETA...there may be some major labor laws being broken here.
Me: What? It's not enough we give these fish an "all you can eat" buffet?

MJ: Nothing like a little toe jam.
Me: Along with some bunion soup

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. I'm not so sure I'd like that. I mean, I avoid getting into lake water because of the little nippers. I don't think I want to go seek them out.

Malicious Intent said...

Grated an all you can eat buffet is nice, but that should be a job perk. Who is representing the fish? Do they have a fishy union?
Who negotiates pay? Raises? Benefits? See, to many questions. It all seems a bit fishy to me.

Practically Joe said...

Catscratch: I avoid getting into lake water because of the little nippers. I don't think I want to go seek them out.
Me: No need to fret ... these are highly trained worker-carp. They are professional dead skin eaters.

MI: Who is representing the fish? Do they have a fishy union?
It all seems a bit fishy to me.

Me: All good questions ... I bet the carp get paid crap.

Queen Goob said...

I want to do that as much as I want to filter and freshen my blood with leeches.

Bogart said...

Carp fried up with a little butter and lemon is very tasty...I wonder if that is because they have been fed a steady diet of bunion sluff.

Practically Joe said...

queen goob: I want to do that as much as I want to filter and freshen my blood with leeches.
Me: leeches? Why my in-laws???

Bogart: Carp fried up with a little butter and lemon is very tasty
Me: ... and no nuts! Let's make it right!