Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I Blame Led Zeppelin


“Dad, why do you have the TV so loud?”
“Sorry, that’s you mother. She can’t hear a thing.”
“Uhm? Dad … Ma’s not even here right now.
I blame it on Led Zeppelin.
My hearing is shot! It had to be from all the rock concerts I attended back in the late sixties and early seventies. My wife’s hearing is just as bad. Honest. Sometimes a normal conversation between us sounds very much like a shouting match. When we watch TV the volume is always up. It’s one of the major reasons we do our best to isolate ourselves in single-family dwellings rather than condos or apartments. We would definitely be voted off the island for noise pollution.
“Waitress! I would like to see a manager!”
“Hi, my name is Joe and I’m the manager on duty here tonight. Did you ask to see me?”
“I just want to say it is very noisy in your restaurant. All I can hear is that rock music. We just came back from a funeral.”
“Oh sir, I am very sorry. I’ll try turning up the volume and I will see what I can do about that back urinal right away.”
I often find myself nodding my head or fake giggling at some comment that I clearly did not hear. If they’re smiling … I’m smiling right back. If their not smiling … I’m asking for an audio replay.
If you were to check my DVR remote closely you’d discover that the rewind and play buttons are the most worn. The wife and I continuously go back to hear something over and over again until at least one of us got it. Truthfully, she’s worse.
“Joe! Stop what did she just say?”
“I’m not sure. Who knows? I didn’t catch it either.”
“Then play it back.”
“I’m sure it wasn’t so important. Do I have to?”
“Joe! Are you friggin’ watching this with me, or what? How can you enjoy this if you don’t know what’s going on? Now please play it back. I think she said she’s going to marry Kyle.”
“Fine! Give me the remote.”
Stop. Rewind. Fast Forward. Stop. Play.
“There! She said not to worry that she’ll carry that pile. And who the hell is Kyle anyway?”
So I was fortunate to grow up in Boston where many legends made their debuts. I saw Led Zeppelin in 1969 at a small club called The Boston Tea Party during their first US Tour. I also had the opportunity to see them as a “super group” each year they returned to Boston. One time I even had first row tickets on the floor when they played at the Boston Garden. It was a far out groovy scene, man! I left that night wearing Plant and Page sweat.
“Joe! I'll be right back. I'm driving to the store.”
That's my wife. She's upstairs yelling that someone's arriving at the door so I have to go. But first, Check this out.
If you like Led Zeppelin and you like The Beatles and you like the song Stairway to Heaven … then you may like this ...


21 comments:

Bogart said...

I used to have a Led Zeppelin rule in my car...when it comes on, the station does not get changed.

But then Robert Plant and Jimmy Page made a comeback. I revoked the Zeppelin rule and have not enjoyed them as much since...

But I still love Led Zeppelin IV...best album ever.

The Mistress said...

That video has created quite a bustle in my hedgerow.

Anonymous said...

I never liked being subjected to loud music which may be why I can hear pretty well and Other Half can't. I was always the one in the corner with my fingers in my ears.

I love the video!! Priceless!!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha... Yah, I'm a concert junkie and my hearing is SHOT!!

I loved the video!!

Practically Joe said...

bogart: "But then Robert Plant and Jimmy Page made a comeback. I revoked the Zeppelin rule and have not enjoyed them as much since..."
Me: I know what you mean. I had backstage passes for a Plant and Page concert. I was excited about it. Up close with beer in hand Plant said to me while passing by "Ello mate" ... he looked a lot more aged than I was looking. Plant and Page alone, together ... Led Zeppelin they hardly pulled off.

MJ: "That video has created quite a bustle in my hedgerow."
Me: MJ, you are a clever Zeppelin fan, I can tell.

Jay: "I never liked being subjected to loud music which may be why I can hear pretty well and Other Half can't."
Me: You'd never last through a stay at our house then ... you'd be turning those fingers in your ears to finger guns in your ears ... if you can picture that.

catscratch: "Hahaha... Yah, I'm a concert junkie and my hearing is SHOT!!"
Me: We're all going to be saying "What?" in our old age.
If you loved that video ... make sure you watch the "Olympic" video in my new post.

Anonymous said...

Alas, the music-as-bad-for-hearing thing happened to my Mom, too...

And heck, even I activate the subtitles on some TV shows and DVDs now, especially if there's a lot of mumbling involved. (I think most actors abruptly forgot how to speak clearly about 10 years ago.)

Anonymous said...

I used to love Led Zeppelin. The Beatles... not so much. though Abbey Road was pretty good

Anonymous said...

Joe, darling ...

#1 get a damn hearing aid.
#2 that's not the beatles, those are The Beatnix. Sheesh!! ;-)

Practically Joe said...

b-dog: "Alas, the music-as-bad-for-hearing thing happened to my Mom, too... And heck, even I activate the subtitles on some TV shows and DVDs now"
Me: me and your mom ... two old hippies.
You? ... close but no cigar.

Nursie: "I used to love Led Zeppelin. The Beatles... not so much."
Me: Although I may be "Dazed and Confused" I at least know "I want to Hold Your Hand"

lilsass: "#1 get a damn hearing aid. #2 that's not the beatles, those are The Beatnix. Sheesh!! ;-)"
Me:
#1 then I'd really hear my wife talk.
#2 Oh ... So Ringo didn't get a nose job!

Frogs in my formula said...

Don't get a hearing aid! Just turn the music up!

leelee said...

Joe, thanks for stopping by my blog. This post really hit home with me. My hubs and I laugh because its like we're playing "telephone" most nights...we really crack up. Now here is the rub...I am the music junkie and have a box full of concert ticket stubs. He/hubs isn't...and HE is the one who is hard of hearing..go figure. I keep playing the music loud...maybe I'll catch up. Ha.

funny blog..I'll be back.

ps: loved the vid

Dolce said...

The video is great! For a split second I thought it was the Beatles...and it was written 12+ years before Led Zepplin.

By the way...my dad does the EXACT same thing. I don't think he can blame Stairway to Heaven though.

Dolce said...

The video is great! For a split second I thought it was the Beatles...and it was written 12+ years before Led Zepplin.

By the way...my dad does the EXACT same thing. I don't think he can blame Stairway to Heaven though.

Practically Joe said...

Frogs: "Don't get a hearing aid! Just turn the music up!
Me: I tried your suggestion ... The neighbor across the street and six houses down called ... That's a new record for distance ... thanks for getting me in trouble.

LeeLee: "Now here is the rub...I am the music junkie and have a box full of concert ticket stubs. He/hubs isn't...and HE is the one who is hard of hearing..go figure."
Me: Being a husband myself ... are you sure he can't hear? Try this ... whisper very very low from across the room ... "Honey, lets play slave and master." ... see if he responds.

Dolce: "The video is great! For a split second I thought it was the Beatles"
Me: I use a lot of trick photography and video.

Malicious Intent said...

Dare I be as bold to say....no....screw it yeah I'll say it.

When you say Zeppelin in 1969....I was busy being born.

Ok, now you can throw things at me.

Practically Joe said...

Malicious: "When you say Zeppelin in 1969....I was busy being born."
Me: I'm not surprised ... back then there sure was "A Whole Lotta Love".

Ken Duck Geraths said...

I'm so glad i came back and played this!!

Practically Joe said...

Ken: "I'm so glad i came back and played this!!"
Me: Lots of good things are discovered the second time around. It's always a pleasure to have you stop by ... even if it's Eight Days A Week.

Deb said...

Don't feel bad. I now put the "subtitle" option on the DVD player so I can read what I can't hear.

The one concert in my youth must have done it. Boston at Boston Garden. It was More Than a Feeling....now I am deaf.. tra la.

Anonymous said...

how many times can you remember us yelling down to lower the tv so we could get some sleep before school!?

Practically Joe said...

Deb: "The one concert in my youth must have done it. Boston at Boston Garden."
Me: There's a good chance I was there. I may have even offered you a toke.

Julia: "how many times can you remember us yelling down to lower the tv so we could get some sleep before school!?"
Dad: I'm not sure ... I don't think I heard you.